Smallholder rice farmers in Africa often have poor access to information and rely on public or private service-providers - like extension services - for advices on possible alternative weed management strategies. Efficacy of extension services in Africa however, is constrained by sub-optimal training and restricted access to adequate information on weed management. RiceAdvice-WeedManager, developed by AfricaRice and Co-Capacity and ready for testing under field conditions, is an application for Android based smartphones and e-tablets that addresses this status quo.
WeedManager assists service-providers in generating farm-specific advices for weed management to smallholder rice farmers, before, during and after the main rice-cropping season. Advices are based on a set of questions to farmers about farm ecology and conditions, available equipment and weed types. WeedManager stimulates implementation of targeted and integrated weed management practices by smallholder rice farmers in Africa - reducing reliance on hand weeding - and thereby contributing to sustainable and affordable productivity enhancement leading to food security and income generation.
Click here and read about the rationale for WeedManager development and its key characteristics.
The current version of WeedManager will be out-scaled in the coming years with farmers under rain-fed upland and rain-fed and irrigated lowland conditions, starting in Nigeria and Tanzania (CARI network). Impact will be studied and outcomes will be communicated.
If you want to try WeedManager yourself, please contact [email protected]
Usefull materials to help you with effective Weed Management in Rice in Africa
- Recognizing weed categories - download (88 MB)
- Effective weed management - view - download (95 MB)
- Safe and correct use of herbicides - view - download (118 MB)
- Using the rotary weeder in lowland rice - view - download (102 MB)
- Striga management in rice - view - download (117 MB )
Guidelines and books:
- Directions for Management of Annual-Broad-Leaved Weeds in Lowland Rice - AfricaRice - 3 pages (132 KB)
- Directions for Management of Annual Grasses in Lowland Rice - AfricaRice - 3 pages (132 KB)
- Directions for Management of Annual Sedges in Lowland Rice - AfricaRice - 2 pages (125 KB)
- Directions for Management of Aquatic Weeds in Lowland Rice - AfricaRice - 1 page (108 KB)
- Directions for Management of Parasitic Weeds in Lowland Rice - AfricaRice - 3 pages (124 KB)
- Directions for Management of Perennial Broad‐Leaved Weeds in Lowland Rice - AfricaRice - 2 pages (122 KB)
- Directions for Management of Perennial Grasses in Lowland Rice - AfricaRice - 2 pages (122 KB)
- Directions for Management of Perennial Sedges in Lowland Rice - AfricaRice - 2 pages (189 KB)
- General Guidelines for Weed Management in Lowland Rice in Africa - AfricaRice - 13 pages (178 KB)
- Identification of Aquatic Weeds - AfricaRice - 13 pages (938 KB)
- Weed Management in Rice-Based Cropping Systems in Africa - AfricaRice - 70 pages (537 KB)
- Weeds of Rice in West Africa - AfricaRice - 324 pages (9.3 MB)
- A Handbook for Weed Control in Rice - IRRI 1990 - 112 pages (1.5 MB)